Wednesday, May 16, 2012

SWAPS

A few months ago I was browsing the Oprah website and I stumbled upon a page about clothing swaps , well I got hooked on the idea and must have searched about a hundred more websites on the subject.

For those who have yet to be introduced to this novel notion; a clothing swap is where each guest brings a few (say 5) items that they no longer want/use but that are in good or preferably great condition, and goes home with other items that they totally love - for free.  A clothing swap definitely answers to the demands of an ecologically friendly activity.  It's all about re-use, why throw out good condition items (adding to landfills) and buy new ones, (wasting energy used to produce the item, fuel used to transport the item etc.), when can you throw a party and find new uses for the items.

Some individuals have taken this green idea a step further, and made it glamorous.  I was inspired by the Clothing Swap concept and itching to try it out.

So I did.

I invited friends over to my apartment and everybody brought with them items in good condition that they no longer wanted, skirts, tops, dresses, hats, jewellery and something to snack on.  We all had fun, chatting, eating, trying on and modelling the clothes for each other and everybody found at least one item to take home.  Personally, I got a great skirt - top condition and totally my style and a bold necklace which I'd never have dared to buy (for fear that I wouldn't wear it) but have always wanted.  The items that were leftover at the end of the night were donated to charity.  All-in-all a very green and glam affair ;-)

After that I went back to the web-surfing and read about swapping websites.
Some of these websites are for posting items that you want to swap, and looking at other items you may want instead, then like on swapit, a website in Israel, you correspond invdividually to arrange the swop.
I tried using this website, and although I'm intrigued by the idea, I found it too difficult to find someone in a nearby location who had what I wanted and wanted what I had.
There are a lot of swapping websites out there, England has great ones which you can read about here
I particularly like the concept of the American Zwaggle which works on a point system with the site, so that you don't have to do a direct swop, you can give something over to somebody else, receive your points (in this case Zoints), and use those at a later stage to 'buy' an item that you want. 
Now I'd love to find a website like that - in Israel.

So what's next?

- a Kid's Stuff Swop. 
I've invited friends to come bring clothes (I personally, have quite a collection still with the labels on!), books, dvd's, and toys that they just don't use so they can swop 'em for "NEW" STUFF for free!
Kids' clothes that are even gently used - are often stained and torn already, so I'm hoping that everybody sticks to the good condition rule... 

No comments:

Post a Comment